Friday, August 13, 2010

Infertility, really

Yesterday, I mentioned to a stranger on the blogosphere that I was experiencing secondary infertility. Like most people would, stranger commented that all infertility really is, is the failure to conceive after a year of trying to do so, and that 98% of people will go on to conceive after three years of trying. Now, if you've read any of my previous posts, you'll know that this is not "my infertility." This is how "unknown infertility" is determined, but it is not the same for those with known infertility. The cause of my infertility is Luteal Phase Defect (LPD), and it's not something that will just correct itself with time. It is something that will persist indefinitely if left untreated. B6 can work for some (it hasn't yet for me), but if not, the next step is Clomid, and that's a step I'm not willing to take. So even though Lee and I have only been TTC for a few months now, I know that I'm infertile, and that it won't "just happen eventually." The most that will ever happen, without Clomid, is a series of very early miscarriages. Something I don't want to keep dealing with, over and over again.

I appreciate people being positive and well-meaning, but I don't really need it. I don't want pity, or sympathy. My life is truly great. This is just something that made up our minds about a second child for us, and that's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment